The Farm’s History

In local history books one can find documentation and references to Evje Gård as far back as AD.1500, but there has most probably been farming activity here previous to this date.

Evje has been spelt in many different ways through the years, e.g. Evie, Euiæ, Eiffue, and Evju. The name ‘Evje’ is derived from the Norwegian word for ‘backwater’.

The main white house has been rebuilt and extended quite a few times.  It started out as a raised log building that was later clad in pine and extended at both ends, finally the second floor and an attic were added.

Evje was run in the traditional Norwegian way with up to 5 horses and at least 20 people working and living here:

The Red House had a bakery and brewery on the ground floor, and the second floor was used as living quarters for the farm-hands.
The carriage house dates from the 1700’s, and was used for storing horse livery and carriages, and to house visiting workers. On the second floor there was also a carpenter’s workshop and a laundry room.

There are three Stabbur (store houses); a meat-stabbur from the mid 1600’s with traditional carvings, a grain-stabbur from around 1900, and a small milk-stabbur, where dairy products were both made and stored.

The restoration of Evje Gård

In 1999 Anders Næss took over the farm & re-introduced organic farming methods.
In the same period,  together with his father Gunnar Næss, he also started restoring the buildings.

In 2006 Evje Gård received an award from Den Fortidsminneforeningen for the preservation of historic architecture.